Melvins to release new album with slew of guest bassists
Melvins, who have a history of imaginative line-up changes, feature not one, but six different bass players on their appropriately titled new album, Basses Loaded (June 3, Ipecac Recordings).
The collection features Buzz Osborne and Dale Crover joined by Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic, Redd Kross’ Steve McDonald, Butthole Surfers’ J.D. Pinkus, Big Business’ Jared Warren, Mr. Bungle/Fantomas’ Trevor Dunn (aka Melvins Lite) and Crover swapping the drum kit for bass in the Melvins 1983 iteration. The album’s nod to baseball, and the inclusion of the band’s own version of “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” is a natural one, with Buzz and Dale often spotted at games across the country.
Osborne discusses the new album, as well as the band’s forthcoming Mike & The Melvins’ release, Three Men and a Baby (April 1, Sub Pop), in an interview with Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-a-track-from-melvins-thudtastic-basses-loaded-20160307). New song “Hideous Woman” streams alongside the piece.
Basses Loaded track listing (bass player in parentheses):
1. The Decay of Lying (Steve McDonald)
2. Choco Plumbing (Jared Warren)
3. Beer Hippie (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
4. I Want To Tell You (Steve McDonald)
5. Captain Come Down (JD Pinkus)
6. Hideous Woman (Steve McDonald)
7. Shaving Cream (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
8. Planet Distructo (Trevor Dunn, aka Melvins Lite line-up)
9. War Pussy (Steve McDonald)
10. Maybe I Am Amused (Krist Novoselic)
11. Phyllis Dillard (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
12. Take Me Out To The Ballgame (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)